What is #GivingTuesday
We have a day for giving thanks. We have two for getting deals. And, we have #GivingTuesday, a global day dedicated to giving back. On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 charities, families, businesses, community centers and students around the world will come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give.
It’s a simple idea. Just find a way for your family, your community, your company or your organization to come together to give something more.Then tell everyone you can on social media about how you are giving on #GivingTuesday. Join us and be a part of a global celebration of a new tradition of generosity.
How Can I Participate?
All members of the PAALS community have a unique opportunity to contribute on #GivingTuesday. FaceBook in conjunction with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation if providing up to $2 Million in matching funds for donations made on FaceBook on #GivingTuesday. In addition, no FaceBook or credit card processing fees will be charged for donations made on #GivingTuesday.
What’s the catch? Well, the donations must be made to FaceBook fundraisers set up by individuals, not on PAALS FaceBook page. So we are asking all members of the PAALS community who have a FaceBook account to setup a fundraisers for PAALS. If you haven’t setup one before, the instructions below will walk you through the process.
Also, the matching funds only apply to donations made after 8AM EST (5AM PST). Since the matching funds are across all of FaceBook, we expect them to be claimed in just a few minutes. There is a matching limit of $1,000 per fundraiser and $50,000 per non-profit.
How do I donate?
On #GivingTuesday (11/28/2917), there are three ways you can donate.
- If you have a FaceBook page, we ask that you donate to one of the #GivingTuesday fundraisers set up for PAALS. All donations made to these fundraisers on #GivingTuesday are not charged processing fees. Also, please try to donate at exactly 8AM so PAALS can qualify for as much in matching funds from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as possible. We will update the list of known #GivingTuesday fundraisers for PAALS as we know about them. Click on the name to go to that person’s fundraiser. Only the first $1,000 of each fundraiser will be matched, so if that one is topped out, please consider adding another one .
- If you don’t have a Facebook page and want to donate online using a credit card or PayPal, you can use the donation form at the bottom of this page. Go to Donation Form
- If you want to donate by check, you can do so by mailing a check to PAALS, 221 N. Grampian Hills Rd., Columbia, SC 29223. Write “Giving Tuesday” on the check memo line. Please note it may take up to three weeks to receive a postal letter acknowledging your donation and providing your receipt for tax purposes. Online donations are acknowledged and sent a receipt immediately via email.
Creating a FaceBook Fundraiser for PAALS on #Giving Tuesday
- On your home page, click on “Fundraisers”. This link will be in different places on a computer, pad or phone.
- Click on the “Raise Money” button.
- Click on the ‘Get Started” button.
- Click on “Nonprofti”. Search for and select PAALS.
- Set the amount you want to raise. (Only the first $1,000 will qualify for matching funds.)
- Set your fundraiser to end on 11/29/2017.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Enter a title. Suggested title “<your first name>
#GivingTuesday Fundraiser for PAALS” Enter why you are raising money. Suggested content “I’m asking my friends and family to help support the good work PAALS does training service dogs on this #GivingTuesday. The first $2 Million of donations made on FaceBook will be matched by the Gates Foundation starting at 8AM EST on 11/28/2017. The matching funds are likely to go fast, so try to donate at 8AM if you can. Donations made anytime on 11/28/2017 only will not be charged processing fees so PAALS will get the full value of your donation.” Click the “Next” button. Click the “Edit” button to select an image for your fundraiser. You can use the image PAALS created by uploading it using the “Upload New Photo” button. Don’t try to center it. It will display correctly when you finish creating your fundraiser. Click the “Create” button. 13) Go to the fundraiser post on your page and invite all of your FaceBook friends to donate.